I was in charge of the party favors for the baby shower that I recently co-hosted. I had big plans to make cake pops, but decided to simplify & go with these tasty little Oreo truffles. They were kind of time consuming (because I made 140 of them), but they were SO good.
I placed them in little bags, tied with a ribbon & attached a little 'thank you' that I cut out with my Cricut.
Here's the recipe, you will love it, trust me. :)
1 package Oreo cookies
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 bag milk chocolate chips or dipping chocolate
optional: white chocolate chips or white dipping chocolate
Yields: 40-60 truffles
1. Using a food processor, grind cookies to a fine powder. In a medium bowl, blend cookie powder and cream cheese until thoroughly mixed (there should be no white traces of cream cheese). Refrigerate mixture for 10-15 minutes
2. Roll into small balls and place on wax-lined cookie sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes.
3. Line another cookie sheet with wax paper. In microwave melt milk chocolate for 2 ½ minutes stirring every 30 seconds. Hint: Put a small amount of shortening in your chocolate chips to make it smoother and easier to dip (or use a melting pot).
4. Using sturdy toothpicks dip balls and coat thoroughly. Lightly shake excess chocolate off. You can also lightly tap the toothpick on the side of the bowl to remove the excess chocolate. Place on wax-paper-lined cookie sheet. Remove the toothpick and cover the small hole with the melted chocolate. Hint: You may have to refreeze the balls as they cool down to make dipping them easier.
5. Store in airtight container, in refrigerator (or freezer).
6. Optional: Melt white chocolate and drizzle over truffles. Using shortening in the white chocolate chips will ensure that it will stay smooth.
On a side note, just wanted to let you all know about a new series that my blogging friend, Kristen Duke is starting. It's called Decorating with Portraits, and it's going to start tomorrow & run through the month of September. It is such a great honor to be among the other amazing ladies who are going to be participating in it.
I will be guest posting this Saturday, September 2nd, so please stop by!